Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Robot Chicken and Northern Exposure (DVD)




Here's what I'm currently have in the DVD player. It's two very different tv shows.

The first is a show on Cartoon Network shown during Adult Swim called Robot Chicken. One of the creators is Seth Green, a fellow I ran into while visiting a comic book store out in Los Angeles. The creators initially didn't know what to call their show and thus named it after a menu item from their favorite Chinese restaurant. I wonder what Robot Chicken tastes like. Perhaps it has a aluminum foil taste to it. Any hoo, the show comes on two DVDs with ten episodes each. The episodes don't run long and with credits and all, I'd say the show itself is about 10 minutes long. And they pack those ten minutes with as much stop motion action figure action as possible. It's like they cracked my head open like an egg, scrambled it, and served it up stop motion style.

For example, the first episode is a spoof on the MTV show the Real World, but with superheroes, called Real World: Metropolis. Characters include Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Hulk, Catwoman, Aquaman, and their token black cast member, Falcon. Pretty amusing stuff. I don't know if I'm more impressed with how they did it or wonder where they're getting those classic action figures their animating from.

The other show I have on tap is the fourth season of Northern Exposure. The character Mike Monroe, played by ER's Anthony Edwards, is a lawyer who's allergic to everything. I think the show really hit it's stride during this fourth year. It's one of my all time favorite shows. I like it because it's a place I wouldn't mind living in and it makes me feel good after each episode. What more can you ask for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home