Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

V for Vendetta (Film)


Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot

I saw V for Vendetta last night. I admit I went with lowered expectations. My sister had seen it before I and she had a lukewarm response. I figured the film might be too preachy and it's a comic book adaptation, an Alan Moore comic no less.

While Mr. Moore may be considered one of the true undisputed geniuses of comic authors, his work has not suffered well being translated to the cinema. His ground breaking work on the Swamp Thing became the basis of The Return of the Swamp Thing starring Heather Locklear. Other films based on his work has been From Hell and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Constantine while not based on a story of Moore's, he created the character as a Sting look-a-like, not Keanu Reeves. His greatest work is, of course, The Watchmen and has thus eluded translation for now.

I also wanted to see this film because of the Wachowski Brothers. I like 'em because they're from Chicago and they're comic book geeks. Clearly evident by they're work on the Matrix films. This is the only project I know they're doing except for their work on the comic book Doc Frankenstein and the Matrix online game. I fear after reading reports of Larry's lifestyle choices and the ensuing press coverage, they may either opt to never work again or work separately. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I liked this film, I like it a lot. I thought they did the best job possible translating the work and more importantly preserved the tone and intent of the original graphic series. While Natlie Portman pulled one of her best performances ever, the man behind the mask, Hugo Weaving was even better. He did more with his voice and body language then most actors can do with a whole package. He was absolutely hypnotic. When he was on screen, he completely commanded attention. The film is beautifully shot and gorgeous to look at. The film ran 132 minutes and did not feel long at all. I definitely plan on getting the DVD.

The film reminded me of Fight Club in that a film made by a big studio, marketed a certain way, and contains subversive elements. Like Fight Club, I see this dividing people. Either you get it and go along with it or you don't. Fight Club's initial exposure had shots of a shirtless Brad Pitt fighting. Going in, you might think it's some sort of action picture, not aware of it's true intent. I feel V is being set up for the same thing. I can see this film being quite big when it hits home video.

My favorite films based on comics (in no particular order):

1. X-Men 2
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Superman
4. Blade 2
5. The Incredibles (not actually based on a comic, but easily could have been)

Throwing on my cape and tights and, of course, sitting in the aisle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home