Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A name by any other...

I've gotten a lot of positive feedback and wanted to publicly thank everyone for reading. The number questions that seems to be cropping up is where the heck did I get the title for this blog from anyway? Well Sherman, let's fire up the way back machine and take a gander.

In my senior year of high school, I was lucking enough to get my very own column in the school paper. It was supposed to be about movies, but I ended up writing about whatever struck my fancy. Eventually enough controversy was stirred up that my column was effectively yanked and I missed being expelled by a hair and was let off relatively lightly by way of a public apology to all those I offended as well as a public offering during both prom and graduation. I learned plenty about who my friends were and more importantly the power printed words have. Just because it's in print, doesn't neccessarily make it true.

During college, I, along with a close group of conspirators, decided to create a fanzine. I came up with the name. Can you guess? In time we all decided print was getting too expensive and thought the web might be the way to go. We became popular enough to gain attraction from the big boys with deep pockets. I got greedy and decided to cut everyone out. I made it out that I was the brains and creative muscle behind the operations (mostly true *wink*) and cut a deal. In exchange for this particular internet 'zine, I would be granted stock options I could not sell for at least 12 months and full creative control with the power to fire and hire anyone I please. This was the height of the internet stock bubble and I was going to walk away rich beyond measure and burn everyone who got in my way. I ended up torching bridges and became a super-@$$hole. But I didn't care. I had money. Granted it was stocks, but money's money right? Wrong. The company went belly up and so did my net worth. The bubble had burst. Non-disclosure aggreements prevent me from going into more detail.

So, where did that leave me? Well, for one thing all my buddies, whom I fired, from the 'zine refused to speak to me. I was left without money and friends. The complex aggreement to buy out the 'zine allows me to gain control of the name after a period of time following the bankrupcy. In the meantime, I've decided to try and keep the spirit alive in the form of these blogs. Getting back to the roots, so to speak. I've got a lot of ground to cover and some goals I want to try and hit.

Bear with me and join me while I'm sitting in the aisle.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you just describe the plot of a movie?

Sat Apr 01, 01:33:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home