Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Queen (Film)

I admit upfront I only saw this movie because it was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar and the buzz behind Helen Mirren's performance as the Queen. I don't really understand the public fascination of the English monarchy or the English class system for that matter. Given all this, I felt at times while watching the movie, it seemed like I was watching a movie on PBS. While the film largely dealt with the Queen's reaction in the week following Diana's death in Paris, I was much more interested in Prime Minister Tony Blair's handling of the situation. Helen Mirren is appreciatively restrained in her aloof performance, but I saw nothing particularly dazzling. Perhaps that was the point, how understated she seemed. I did find the overwhelming public reaction to Diana's death surprising. I had no idea she was so loved. Given my lukewarm reaction, is it any surprise I'm giving this movie a C-.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home