Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Letters from Iwo Jima (Film)

One of the more compelling films I've ever seen on the subject of war. I found the Japanese's point of view particularly interesting because I think all the World War II pictures I've seen have largely been about the American forces and in particular their battles in Europe. It was refreshing to see things from the "enemies" perspective and it turns out it's not that much different from the other side. The soldiers we meet on Iwo Jima are not professional soldiers, but instead are bakers and farmers, ordinary men asked to defend the country they live in and love. Who can fault these men who've answered the call to arms? Through the letters they write to loved ones back home and the conversations they share, we learn to respect and honor the sacrifices they make in the name of patriotism. I'm amazed at the directing job Clint Eastwood has pulled off and marvel at his masterful ability to direct a film in a foreign language. I did think he had it in him. It's a film well worth seeing. I give this film a A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home