Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Volver (Film)

I've always enjoyed European films. I find those films tend to be more ambiguous in their storytelling. They don't have a need to tie everything together in some neat bow. It's ok if some things are left a little messy. Volver is a prime example of this. I initially saw this because Penelope Cruz was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar and she looked sizzling in the trailer. I found the film itself not without it's charms, but felt curiously flat to me. I was hoping for a little more heat from the storyline to better match what Cruz was bringing to the role. I give this tale of mothers and their daughters a C-.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home