Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Clerks 2 (Film)

The first Clerks came out about ten years ago and I remember renting the videotape (yikes!) because I had heard some buzz coming out of the Sundance film festival. I liked it so much I ended up watching it again the next morning. Something about the low-budget grainy black and white characters riffing on pop culture references really spoke to me. I really could identify with these characters. Since then, I've followed writer/director Kevin Smith's career with great interest. His last couple of films, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (avoid at all costs) and Jersey Girl (not bad) were examples of him saying good-bye to the comfortable and trying something new. I can understand the appeal of re-visiting the Clerks crew, but often times it felt like going to your ten year high school reunion. Sure it was nice to see what some people were up to, but other times it felt really uncomfortable and you're left wondering it was such a hot idea to go after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home