Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Superman Returns Imax 3-D (Film)


I ended up seeing the Imax 3-D version of Superman Returns. For those who are not aware, the entire movie is not in 3-D. Instead, about 20 minutes require you put those glasses on at 4 different points in the movie. The thinking was, when Clark takes his glasses off, you put those 3-D shades on. How did it work? Not so good. Right off the bat, it was pretty distracting to keep putting those glasses on and taking them off. What would happen is, just before a 3-D segment, tiny green eye-glass icons would flash, that's when you popped those glasses on and when it's over, those green icons turned red. Nothing could be more distracting and this completely took you out of the movie. The effects themselves were just okay. It looked really good during static or slow moving shots with very little cutting. When the action kicked into gear and the camera started moving tossed with jump cuts, it was a blurry mess. The entire airplane rescue was in 3-D and I couldn't figure out what was going on or who was who. Thank god Superman was in bright blue with a red cape, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to spot him. I've read Lucas is planning on turning the Star Wars films (all 6) into 3-D, the 30th anniversary is next year. The same process for Star Wars is what was used for Superman. This was one of the big reasons I wanted to see Superman in 3-D. Given what I've seen, I hope they don't.

As for the movie itself, it was just okay. The movie felt played out and I got the sense that I've seen this before, like in 1978 with Christopher Reeve. At least that film was original. I don't know why this movie had to constantly remind people of the Donner version. Some of the action was the same and even the music is reused. I think they made a big mistake going this route. They should have started over a la Batman Begins. While watching that movie, I wasn't thinking about the Tim Burton version or Michael Keaton's portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman. This Superman movie had a confusing timeline, a evil plot that made no sense, no story resolutions, hardly any action, and an awful cast. They really dropped the ball on this one. I much rather would have seen the proposed Nicholas Cage Superman directed by Tim Burton. At least that film would have been an original creation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home