Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Omen (Film)

The film had some decent scares, but I'm still puzzled by some aspects of the movie. At one point, a couple of characters check out a graveyard and one brings a tire iron. I would have thought a shovel would be more appropriate. Someone does use the tire iron, but how did that person know to bring it? I guess god does work in mysterious ways.

The film is about the spawn of Satan being born and while I had no problem with minions of the devil helping out, I wondered why didn't anyone from the good side lend a helping hand? The film felt off balance to me with the dark side leading the way. It would have been nice to see god not take such a passive role and decide to send some angels to help out and kick some ass. It's another classic horror film remake and I did see the original (I think), but my memories are fuzzy at best. It was nice to see Mia Farrow playing the child's babysitter. She is suitably creepy.

I was also puzzled by the ending and slightly disappointed. To save humanity, the father has to kill his adopted son on the alter of a church. This is the best plan god came up with? I thought the power to kill was reserved for the mighty lord only. I would have liked it more if the father had to find a more humane solution instead. Could not the power of his love for his son be enough to stop the dark lord?

I also discussed with someone who has seen the original and was surprised by how similar the two are. I say why bother doing a shot by shot re-make. Why not make it different. Daimen is birthed from a jackal in both movies, but the birth is never shown. Why not show it for the 2006 version? Really make a statement. I know if I saw a baby coming out of a jackal, I'd say all bets are off and anything goes. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home