Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Da Vinci Code (Film)

It's the first film I've ever seen with actual protesters. I guess they don't want people to see the powerful message this film contains. Not. It's not like the book was a bestseller or anything.

Currently this film is tracking a 19% on Rotten tomatoes. Is it that bad? Well, not really. I've the read the book in the Spring of 2003 and admit I was feeling a tad antsy during parts of the movie. To be fair, I did see it with someone who has not read the book and didn't find it to be too much of a problem. This is a film that's pretty much all exposition city. I'm reminded of the parts in the Indiana Jones films where Indy explains the historical background of the object they're in search of, except this time that's the whole movie. Which is skillfully done. I admire the way Ron Howard interweaves the historical flashbacks with the modern era. And given the density of explanations in the original book, he did as good a job as anyone could do. He made the best film possible, I think, based on this particular book. I believe the reason critics are so harsh on this film is because of what the Da Vinci code actually is. It is a little ridiculous, but faintly possible, kinda like aliens landing in Roswell.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's at 18% on Rotten Tomatoes this minute; and Gigli (most likely the gold standard for bad modern movies) is at a ridiculously low 6%. So I hoping to see a critic say something like, "It's three times as good as Gigli" and leave it at that. End of story. In other words, I'm gonna see it next weekend.

Sat May 20, 10:21:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this film was not good. the acting was flat, the dialogue was dull, and the storyline allowed way too many easy outs for the characters when they got into a bind. the third point i thought was the most insulting to the audience, like we are suppose to believe that the characters got away from so many sticky situations with relative ease, i think that is way i don't like the new bond films. they are just to unbelievable to be likeable.

as for the underlying story behind 'the da vinci code' i didn't see that as a problem (and can understand why so many enjoyed the book) and thought it was an interesting twist on history, whether its true or not. but as for as adaptations go, this one shouldn't have left the pages of the hard-cover book it was taken from.

Mon May 29, 04:59:00 PM CDT  
Blogger John Choi said...

I may have to disagree with you on the third point. Perhaps given the fact the Da Vinci Code is a summer film I make for certain allowances. I'm not sure if you had a particular scene in mind, but their escapes are no different from any other summer popcorn film. If anything, I wouild have like more action scenes and really play up the Indiana Jones (talk about narrow escapes) as professor mode. It certainly would have livened up the film more. And I did think Ian McKellen was wonderful and perhaps the best one in the film. I wished Hanks was a bit more sparkly.

Tue May 30, 11:00:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home