Sitting in the Aisle

It's kinda like getting an e-mail from John about what movie he just saw, well, kinda, sorta.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Set this House in Order (Book)



The author Matt Ruff has only written two other novels. While reading each of his novels, when I get to the middle, I think to myself, "this is one of the best books I've ever read." It's rare I want to read a book again after finishing them, but with each book he has written, I know I want to reread them again someday. As always, there are so many books to read and so little time.

One of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes had this bank teller with really thick glasses who loved to read. He much more preferred books to people. On his lunch breaks, he would eat his lunch in the bank vault while reading. It's the only place he can get the proper peace and quiet to enjoy his books. On one of these lunch breaks, something happens, perhaps it's a deadly virus or a bomb of some sort. In the the end the results are the same, everyone is dead except the teller, who was protected by him staying in the vault. Books have saved his life. All excited, he runs to the library to gather as many books as he can. With no one around to bother him, he can read as much as he wants. In his haste to leave, he stumbles down the steps of the library and his books fly everywhere, as well as his glasses. Shattered and useless, he can no longer see. He drops to his knees and begins sobbing.

I find picking up a new book is very much like starting a new relationship, like having a new girlfriend. In the beginning you hope for the best and want very much for everything to work out. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. After reading some books, I find myself needing a break and can't jump into another book right away. I need a little breathing space and find myself wanting to do other things.

Any hoo, back to the book in hand. This book is about a person with multiple personalities. The primary soul in charge is named Aaron. Instead of merging all the souls into one whole, Aaron has decided to live with the other personalities, or co-exist, instead a virtual house inside his head. He meets another person with multiple personalities, only she doesn't know it yet. He feels he must help her and in turn, she helps him deal with a buried secret from his past. A rousing read and well worth checking out. in fact, all his books are worth a read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home